The following information is for DOMESTIC applicants only. Domestic applicants are those who hold Canadian permanent residency or citizenship at the time of the application deadline. Click here for International Student Application Procedures.
The application process for the September 2019 intake will open on October 15, 2018 and will close on January 15, 2019. Complete applications must be received by the Department of OS&OT by the application deadline of January 15, 2019.
We suggest that you apply well before the deadline to avoid any issues with the processing of your application. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all documentation and fees, including references, have been submitted and will be received by the Department of OS&OT by the application deadline of January 15, 2019. Please note that you may continue to access and upload documents to your online application until the deadline.
1. BEFORE YOU BEGIN
Review the Admission Requirements page and ensure you have met all the program requirements and prepared necessary documents for submission.
2. START AN APPLICATION ONLINE
Start an application online through the Faculty of Graduate and Post-doctoral Studies online application system. You will need to create a new CWL account if don’t already have one. Existing UBC students can login using their current CWL credentials.
3. PREPARE YOUR DOCUMENTS FOR UPLOAD
When completing the online application, you will be prompted to upload specific documentation. Before you submit any documents, please review the document upload instructions below.
Questions on the online application will specify which documents need to be uploaded.
- Accepted document formats: PDF, DOC, and DOCX. Any other file types will not be accepted. DO NOT upload any JPEG, GIF, or PNG files. If your uploaded document is in an accepted format, but is unreadable or corrupt, you will be asked to re-upload your documentation. It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide clear documentation that can be used in the application evaluation process.
4. UPLOAD YOUR TRANSCRIPTS
You are required to submit the most recent official final transcripts from all post-secondary institutions that you have attended (except UBC).
- If you are currently in the last year of your undergraduate degree, submit only your most recent transcript that contains all final grades for the September – December term.
- Applicants with credentials from institutions in which English is not the primary language of instruction, or in which documents are printed in a language other than English, are required to have their transcripts evaluated by a credentialing service, such as the BCIT International Credential Evaluation Service. Additionally, applicants with international credentials from non-English speaking institutions must upload transcripts in the original language and certified literal English translations AND official degree certificate in the original language and a certified literal English translation from your institution’s translation service, in PDF format.
Please note that the new online application system will allow transcripts to be uploaded onto your application after the application has been submitted. You have until the application deadline to submit all of your documents.
5. PROVIDE DETAILS OF YOUR ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY EXAMINATION RESULTS
If applicable, the application system will ask if you have completed acceptable English language proficiency tests.
All applicants who completed their degree in an university outside Canada in which English is not the primary language of instruction must provide results of an English language proficiency examination as part of their application. Tests must have been taken within the last 24 months at the time of submission of your application. For more information, refer to the Admission Requirements.
6. PROVIDE THE CONTACT INFORMATION OF YOUR REFEREES
As part of the application process, you are required to submit the contact information of three referees. Two of these referees must provide an Academic reference, and the third referee must provide a Volunteer/Work Experience reference. Please note that referees are only notified by the system to provide an electronic reference AFTER you have submitted your application.
Faxed or emailed reference forms or letters will not be accepted. Please include their institution email address. After you submit your application through the online application system, your referees will receive an auto generated email requesting a reference for you. They will have the option to answer questions to fill out the reference form, or submit an electronic copy of a reference letter on official institution letterhead in PDF format.
Academic References: Your academic referees must be listed as Referee 1 and Referee 2 in the References section of the online application. If you are unable to attain your academic references from past or current professors, you can submit letters from past or current employers. The academic references, whether submitted by professors or employers, must speak to the applicant’s current academic ability, as well as the applicant’s ability to succeed in a graduate-level degree.
Volunteer/Work References: This referee must be listed as Referee 3 in the References section of the online application. If your volunteer/work experience referee does not have an institution email address or if you have completed your minimum 70 hours of volunteer/work experience at two organizations/facilities and have supplemental referee, please have them fill out and submit (in a sealed and endorsed envelope) the Volunteer/Work Experience Reference Form.
Re-applicants no longer have the option to re-use references from the previous year. If you wish to reapply you must submit a new and complete application for the next intake.
7. UPLOAD STATEMENT OF INTENT
Maximum 500-word statement of intent detailing why you wish to study and practice Occupational Therapy, and summarizing the attributes you have to offer the profession.
Please note that the new online application system will allow documents to be uploaded onto your application after the application has been submitted. You have until the application deadline to submit all of your documents.
8. SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
Once you have completed all of the necessary sections of the application form, pay the online application fee and submit your online application.
It is highly recommended that you submit an application as soon as possible. The admissions office suggests that the latest by which your application should be submitted is December 15 as referees will be notified to submit a electronic reference only after you have submitted an application. Please note that transcripts can be uploaded onto your application after it has been submitted.
9. CHECK THE STATUS OF YOUR APPLICATION
After submitting your application, it is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all supporting materials are submitted by the application deadline.
You can check the status of your application and supporting materials through the online application system. Please do not contact the department office for an update on the status of your application.
DEPARTMENTAL MAILING ADDRESS
Department of Occupational Science & Occupational Therapy
Attention: MOT Admissions
T325-2211 Wesbrook Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 2B5