The following information is for INTERNATIONAL applicants only. Click here for Domestic Student Application Procedures.
The application process for the September 2017 intake will open on October 15, 2016 and will close on January 15, 2017. Complete applications must be received by the Department of OS&OT by the application deadline of January 15, 2017.
We suggest that you apply well before the deadline to avoid any issues with the processing of your application. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all documentation and fees, including references, have been submitted and will be received by the Department of OS&OT by the application deadline of January 15, 2017.
A complete application includes the following:
1) the online application
2) full payment of all application fees (Faculty of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies fee and Department of OSOT Supplemental fee)
3) uploaded transcripts
4) uploaded reference letters
4) uploaded statement of intent
5) uploaded proof of BC residency (if applicable)
6) English competency test results (if applicable).
The requirements for the submission of each of these components are outlined below.
Complete and submit the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies online application form. Your application will not be reviewed until the online application is submitted.
The online application consists of the following sections:
- Personal and contact information
- Academic history (list ALL post-secondary institutions you have attended, including institutions from which you transferred credits or attended through an exchange program
- Program specific questions related to residency, volunteer/work experience and course requirements
- Maximum 500-word statement of intent detailing why you wish to study and practice Occupational Therapy, and summarizing the attributes you have to offer the profession
- Referees (list academic references as Referee 1 and Referee 2, and volunteer/work experience reference as Referee 3)
Faculty of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies Application Fee
The Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies requires a non-refundable application fee for each graduate program you apply to. Payment is required upon submission of the online application and is accepted by credit card (Visa or MasterCard)
- International Applicants: $162.00 CDN
Supplemental Application Fee
In addition to the above payment, a non-refundable supplemental application fee is required by the Department of OS&OT. Payment is accepted by cheque or money order only, payable to the University of British Columbia. Cheques and money order must be mailed or dropped off directly to the Department of OS&OT.
- All Applicants: $110.00 CDN
All applicants must upload their official transcript, from all colleges and universities attended (including transcripts from institutions attended while on exchange or institutions from which you transferred credits), into the application system in Academic History. Please note that all documents uploaded must be in PDF format. Please do not mail hard copies of transcripts to the Department of OS&OT. We will not process any hard copy transcripts.
Applicants completing courses in the Fall term (ie. September – December) must wait to submit final transcripts until final grades have been reported.
Applicants with credentials from institutions in which English is not the primary language of instruction, or in which documents are printed in a language other than English, are required to have their transcripts evaluated by a credentialing service, such as the BCIT International Credential Evaluation Service. Additionally, applicants with international credentials from non-English speaking institutions must upload transcripts in the original language and certified literal English translations AND official degree certificate in the original language and a certified literal English translation from your institution’s translation service, in PDF format.
1. Applicants are required to submit TWO academic references addressing the applicants ability to succeed in a graduate program. Individuals acting as an applicant’s volunteer/work experience reference cannot also act as an academic reference. If you are unable to attain your academic references from past or current professors, you can submit letters from past or current employers. The academic references, whether submitted by professors or employers, must speak to the applicant’s current academic ability, as well as the applicant’s ability to succeed in a graduate-level degree. Faxed or emailed reference forms or letters will not be accepted.
Your academic referees must be listed as Referee 1 and Referee 2 in the References section of the online application. Please include their institution email address. After you submit your application through the online system, your referees will receive an auto generated email requesting a reference for you. They will have the option to answer questions to fill out the reference form, or submit an electronic copy of a reference letter on letterhead in PDF format.
Volunteer/Work Experience References
2. Applicants are required to submit a minimum of one, but no more than two references verifying his/her volunteer/work experience. Individuals acting as an applicant’s academic reference cannot also act as a volunteer/work experience reference. You must be able to provide a reference from an individual employed by the organization who acted as your direct supervisor. The individual(s) submitting the volunteer/work experience reference to verify and validate your experience cannot be the client you have worked with nor a family member/friend of the client you have worked with under any circumstances.
Your experience referee must be listed as Referee 3 in the References section of the online application. Please include their institution email address. After you submit your application through the online system, your referee will receive an auto generated email requesting a reference for you. They will answer questions to fill out the reference form as well as have the option to additionally submit a reference letter in PDF format in the system. If your experience referee does not have an institution email address, please have them fill out and submit (in a sealed and endorsed envelope) the Volunteer/Work Experience Reference Form.
If you have completed your minimum 70 hours of volunteer/work experience at two organizations/facilities, you are required to submit two references (one from each supervisor) of each organization/facility. Please have your fourth referee, in this case, fill out and submit (in a sealed and endorsed envelope) the Volunteer/Work Experience Reference Form. Faxed or emailed reference forms will not be accepted, nor any other forms or letters in lieu of the Volunteer/Work Experience Reference Form.
References will be notified to submit an electronic reference after you have submitted an application. If you want to use a reference from an application the previous year, you must still submit an email address. In order to submit this information without the reference being contacted, put an extra space into an email address before the @ sign. For example, you would submit the email as john.smith @ubc.ca. This is ONLY to be used if you applied the previous application cycle and wish to reuse the reference for this cycle. If you would like to reuse any references from the previous application, you must send a request by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org after your application is submitted.
ENGLISH COMPETENCY TEST RESULTS
If applicable, the results from the testing agency must be mailed in a sealed and endorsed envelope directly to the Department of OS&OT. If you are taking the TOEFL test, you will need to provide UBC’s institution code of 0965 prior to taking the test.
For more information on completing an English competency test, please visit the language section of the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies website.
Any application material that must be mailed must be sent directly to the Department of OS&OT at the below address:
Department of Occupational Science & Occupational Therapy
Attention: MOT Admissions
T325-2211 Wesbrook Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 2B5