- Apply well before the deadline to avoid any issues with the processing of your application.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all documentation (including references) have been submitted and will be received by the Occupational Science & Occupational Therapy department by the deadline.
- Once you have completed all the necessary sections of the application form, please pay the application fees and submit your online application.
- If you are applying for the Master of Occupational Therapy North, please ensure you include the additional documentation before the application deadline.
- After you submit your application, you will receive a UBC student number (usually a 8-digit number) and may continue to access and upload documents to your online application until the deadline.
For any questions or concerns related to admissions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application documents you may need
- MOT (All Programs):
- MOT-North Additional Documentation:
Please note that there are new forms for each year’s admission cycle, and you will not be able to download the forms either before the application window or after the deadline.
1. Check our admission requirements
Before you start any part of the application process, please check our Admission Requirements.
2. Altus Suite / Casper Test
Completion of the Altus Suite / Casper Test is part of our Admission Requirements. Please make sure you review and complete the test before the application deadline.
Applicants will need their 8-digit UBC Applicant ID (the same Student Number used in the UBC Application Portal), to distribute their Casper test scores. Applicants who have completed the Casper test before starting an application in the portal may return to the Altus Suite website and enter their IDs retroactively.
3. Start an application online
4. Prepare your documents for upload
When completing your online application, you will be prompted to upload specific documentation. Before you submit any documents, please review the document upload instructions below.
Questions on the online application will specify which documents need to be uploaded.
This year’s documents will be visible in the top section for you to download. They are provided as PDF but can be downloaded and submitted as any of the accepted document formats below.
- Accepted document formats: PDF, DOC, and DOCX are accepted. Any other file types will not be accepted.
- DO NOT upload any JPEG, GIF, or PNG files.
- If your uploaded document is in an accepted format, but is unreadable or corrupt, you will be asked to re-upload your documentation.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide clear documentation that can be used in the application evaluation process.
5. Provide referee contact information
As part of the application process, you are required to submit the contact information of three referees. Two of these referees must provide an Academic reference, and the third referee must provide a Volunteer & Work Experience reference. Please note that referees are only notified by the system to provide an electronic reference AFTER you have submitted your application.
Please include their institutional email address. After you submit your application through the online application system, your referees will receive an auto generated email requesting a reference for you. They will have the option to answer questions to fill out the reference form, or submit an electronic copy of a reference letter on official institution letterhead in PDF format. As referee management is the responsibility of the applicant, we advise all applicants to keep in contact with their selected referees throughout the application process.
– Academic references
Your academic referees must be listed as Referee 1 and Referee 2 in the References section of the online application. If you are unable to attain your academic references from past or current professors, you can submit letters from past or current employers. The academic references, whether submitted by professors or employers, must speak to your current academic ability, as well as your ability to succeed in a graduate-level degree. If your employer does not have an institutional email address or did not receive the automated link, please them have fill out and submit the Academic Reference Form.
– Volunteer & Work references
This referee must be listed as Referee 3 in the References section of the online application. If your volunteer/work experience referee does not have an institutional email address, did not receive the automated link, or if you have completed your minimum 70 hours of volunteer/work experience at two organizations/facilities and will have a supplemental referee (for a total of four references: two academic and two volunteer/work), please have them fill out and submit the Volunteer & Work Experience Reference Form.
If you are applying as a re-applicant, you must submit a new and complete application for the next intake. Re-applicants are free to use referees from past years, but must provide updated reference letters each year.
6. Submit your application
It is highly recommended that you submit an application as soon as possible. The admissions office suggests that the latest by which your application should be submitted is December 15 as referees will be notified to submit a electronic reference only after you have submitted an application. Please note that transcripts can be uploaded onto your application after it has been submitted.
7. Upload your written response
The department requires a written response to a prompt (maximum 250-words) as part of the application process. The prompt will become available once applications open and the completed document must be uploaded to the online portal no later than the application deadline.
If you are applying to the Master of Occupational Therapy North, please also upload your additional documentation prior to the deadline.
Please note that the new online application system will allow documents to be uploaded onto your application after the application has been submitted. You have until the application deadline to submit all of your documents.
8. Upload your transcripts
You are required to submit the most recent official final transcripts from all post-secondary institutions that you have attended (except UBC).
- If you are currently in the last year of your undergraduate degree, submit only your most recent transcript that contains all final grades for the September – December term.
- Applicants with credentials from institutions in which English is not the primary language of instruction, or in which documents are printed in a language other than English, are required to have their transcripts evaluated by a credentialing service, such as the BCIT International Credential Evaluation Service. Additionally, applicants with international credentials from non-English speaking institutions must upload transcripts in the original language and certified literal English translations AND official degree certificate in the original language and a certified literal English translation from your institution’s translation service, in PDF format.
Please note that the new online application system will allow transcripts to be uploaded onto your application after the application has been submitted. You have until the application deadline to submit all of your documents.
9. Upload your English Language proficiency exam results (if applicable)
If applicable, the application system will ask if you have completed acceptable English language proficiency tests.
All applicants who completed their degree in an university outside Canada in which English is not the primary language of instruction must provide results of an English language proficiency examination as part of their application. Tests must have been taken within the last 24 months of the application deadline.
10. Check the status of your application
After submitting your application, it is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all supporting materials are submitted by the application deadline.
You can check the status of your application and supporting materials through the online application system.
Please do not contact the department office for an update on the status of your application.
Check your eligibility and confirm your suitability for the program.
Dates, Fees & Guidance
Find upcoming application deadlines, fees payable and useful resources for your application.
Review program overview, curriculum details, and the Professional & Educational framework.
Image for Application documents section by Christin Hume